Lipo Curious

Magic8Ball

Reading all the bits about how good a lipo would be i'm considering just buying one to see the difference it makes.

I'm not so much looking for blistering speed but more about longer run time.

From the reading i have done the stock Amp can take a 2s lipo and one listed in some of the forums is Zippy 5200mah 2s 30c

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RC-ZIPPY...787993?hash=item2345326d19:g:F68AAOSwkNZUbv7O

Good thing is its here in australia and its cheap so if i kill it i won't shed a tear.

Any alternative suggestions? ive seen a post or two about having trouble fitting the lipos into the case without resorting to velcro so if there is a slightly different one that works with the stock t-bar that would be good.

Reading all the bits about how good a LiPo would be i'm considering just buying one to see the difference it makes.

I'm not so much looking for blistering speed but more about longer run time.

From the reading i have done the stock Amp can take a 2s LiPo and one listed in some of the forums is Zippy 5200mah 2s 30c

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RC-ZIPPY...787993?hash=item2345326d19:g:F68AAOSwkNZUbv7O

Good thing is its here in australia and its cheap so if i kill it i won't shed a tear.

Any alternative suggestions? ive seen a post or two about having trouble fitting the lipos into the case without resorting to velcro so if there is a slightly different one that works with the stock t-bar that would be good.

I'm using a LHS 2s 50c 5000mah lipo and it fits perfect. Most times they will list the dimensions of the battery which really helps.

dont forget the charger and -8S Lipo/Li-ion/Fe Battery Low Voltage Meter Tester Buzzer Alarm

I just bought a Dualsky LiPo Battery, 4000mAh 2S 20C as Im LiPocurious as well... that sounds dirty.

The Amp can take a 2s lipo, but I fried the ESC by running the lipo in (not so short) grass. I think both factors contributed; the lipo just supplies more current under heavy load than a NiMH will, so you have to be more cautious. The ESC does not have a thermal protection circuit, it will die instead of shutting off.

If ebay doesn't list the battery dimensions, hobbyking has a lot of zippy gear and you may find them there. I bought the dynamite prophet sport plus charger and it's good, but it's only 50W so if I ever go to 6s batteries it won't be so fast. A 2s you can charge at 5A no problem though.

I have Venom hard-case LiPos and they fit with no problem under the standard plastic brace. Otherwise using a strap is easy enough with the slots present in the chassis.

Funny you should mention that.. i was looking at the VNRC1558 MFG# - 1558, along with the Tactic TSX40 and the duratrax six pack from the 1 ebay seller today.

The Amp can take a 2s LiPo, but I fried the ESC by running the LiPo in (not so short) grass. I think both factors contributed; the LiPo just supplies more current under heavy load than a NiMH will, so you have to be more cautious. The ESC does not have a thermal protection circuit, it will die instead of shutting off.

This...?

I'm contemplating getting three of these for my kids and myself. I have an ammo can of 2s and 3s lipos and prefer them vs. the nimh. All I currently have to run them on is my yard and narrow gravel driveway. I've got a couple of Axial rigs that do fine on the grass but they're low speed crawlers. I'm also wanting to hop mine up into a BL basher.

So will I need to upgrade them immediately to run on grass and save or sell the ESC/Rx & Tx? I have enough old gear to do all three at the same time and it should be a simple project. I'm wanting to get two MT kits for them to assemble and "custom paint" and the DB for myself. May as well give them the mod bug early on. 6yo and 13yo girls.

This...?

I'm contemplating getting three of these for my kids and myself. I have an ammo can of 2s and 3s lipos and prefer them vs. the NiMH. All I currently have to run them on is my yard and narrow gravel driveway. I've got a couple of Axial rigs that do fine on the grass but they're low speed crawlers. I'm also wanting to hop mine up into a BL basher.

So will I need to upgrade them immediately to run on grass and save or sell the ESC/Rx & Tx? I have enough old gear to do all three at the same time and it should be a simple project. I'm wanting to get two MT kits for them to assemble and "custom paint" and the DB for myself. May as well give them the mod bug early on. 6yo and 13yo girls.

If you monitor temps correctly, you shouldn't have an issue. My son runs his Amp and I my brushless circuit on 2s in grass all the time and never have issues. I drive the piss out of mine, never overheated yet. :D

I've got several LV alarms and would run those, too. I've got a pocket sized temp gun that's about the size of a giant sharpie I carry usually. I had a pair of Losi Minis for them and they almost immediately burned up the stock motors on them. Then I put some slider motors in and they bent dog bones. So I shelved those until they get older.

I have a few 55t crawler motors I could put into these Amps that should help with temps and speed, too. I may just do that in the beginning.

I have a few 55t crawler motors I could put into these Amps that should help with temps and speed, too. I may just do that in the beginning.

Interesting thought. If you don't re-gear though, they will be sllloooooowwwww!!! On the stock Amp remote, you can simply turn down the dual rate for the throttle if speed is an issue for you.

That's the idea. I have a few higher turn motors, too. A 35t, 20t, and I think a 27t. The higher turn motors would give them a chance to learn how to drive better before unleashing them with a quick car and end up breaking it or running over each other. It should give the ESC some relief from the usually tall grass.

In the Amp's defense, the ESC only fried after my son was doing wheelies by going full speed back, then full speed ahead... But still, I got horizon to offer to replace it under warranty and the replacements are on backorder all through Europe so that tells you something about their robustness...

If you have enough spare parts anyway, run it till you break it! The motors are very robust, mine has gone burn-my-fingers hot several times and it's still as fast as the pristine motor of the second one I got a few months later.

Then it's settled. I'll run the lipos when I'm home from work and they can charge and run the NiMH when I'm not there to charge them. I'll put some 35t motors in and let them loose. The stock ESCs should handle that very easily. I'll pull mine out and save it for a donor.

[QUOTE=" I'm wanting to get two MT kits for them to assemble 6yo and 13yo girls.[/QUOTE]

How did the kits work out?

Members online

Back