Reliable, quick brushless that doesn’t break the bank.

Fordy_c

Hi guys,

So my motor went yesterday and I was about to go brushless on my Ruckus but my local shop said I really need to spend £150-£200 on a motor and esc to get much better performance which seems quite allot considering how much the car cost to buy. I was local at £80 combo set which apparently will give me some extra speed but not as much as I’d hoped for.

So now I’m after good, fast, reliable ESC and motor ideas that I’ll really notice the difference with that don’t make it seem like I should just buy a better car.

Cheers

I’m on 2s Lipo already so brushless and esc is next, just wandering if anyone is running a decent set up that they get allot of extra performance with that doesn’t break the bank.

I run a 3300 KV combo in my ruckus geared 87/19 and it flat out flies. I haven't had one bit of trouble with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Hobbywing-MA...768e68a39f82&qid=1556986393&s=gateway&sr=8-15
[/

I said about this set up today as it was in stock at my local shop and the guy put me off it! Now you’ve said that I reckon I’m gonna go with it and get it ordered. What kind of speed difference donuts reckon I’ll get? Don’t suppose you’ve got any videos of your car?
I’ve got the metal gears in the truck, is there anything else I need? Can I use the standard spur and pinion gears? Is it easy to install?
Sorry for all the questions! Haha
Cheers mate

The speed difference is night and day compared to your brushed motor. Since you have the metal gears in the truck already, there's nothing else that you need except for aluminum rear hexes. Start with stock gearing which I believe is 87/18 or 19. I have 87/19 in mine.

Installation is pretty straightforward. Pay attention when you're taking your old motor and ESC off the truck. You'll be putting the new motor and ESC on backwards of how you took the old ones off. Plug the three wires from the ESC into the same colored wires on the motor. Run the wires through the shock Tower, not over it. Refer to your trucks manual on how to set the spur and pinion mesh. Follow the directions in the hobbywing manual on how to calibrate your radio with the new ESC, and you're good to go.

If you have any issues or concerns, ask questions here, or I'm sure your local shop would be happy to assist you.

Fast. Cheap. Reliable. Pick 2. And even if you find an affordable brushless combo, a “fast” brushless system will require drivetrain updates that will negate the “cheap” right out of any deal you get on a good brushless combo. There are decent brushless combos out there, GoolRC comes to mind, that will give you improved speed, longer battery life and lower temps, but until you get into the bigger, more mainstream name brand systems (Castle, Tazer,..) there’s just not that WOW! factor when going full throttle.

Just my 2 cents. This is coming from someone who spent as much on upgrades to my truck than I spent on the truck itself - and THEN installed a Castle SCT combo. Many of the upgrades were to protect against crashes that come much quicker and more violent with the added speed and power, but there’s never a question of durability or performance.

I see this is an old post but I've just put a cheapo Surpass Hobby 3100kv brushless motor with 60A ESC in my Ruckus. Cost me £34 for motor, ESC and prog card. The difference is makes from the stock kit is night and day. Even on 2S. On 3S lipo it flies. Extremely surprised for the price, works really well.

I can't comment on the durability or longevity of it as it's only just gone in but it's so much faster and more powerful than the brushed, stock stuff. So far, well worth £34!

Hi guys,

So my motor went yesterday and I was about to go brushless on my Ruckus but my local shop said I really need to spend £150-£200 on a motor and esc to get much better performance which seems quite allot considering how much the car cost to buy. I was local at £80 combo set which apparently will give me some extra speed but not as much as I’d hoped for.

So now I’m after good, fast, reliable ESC and motor ideas that I’ll really notice the difference with that don’t make it seem like I should just buy a better car.

Cheers
Horizon Hobby has the onyx brushless motor and esc combos for 80$, they ship from US but work great.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back