circuit 2wd

ecx4343

hi, been running this car for while but have problem with stripped plastic spur. when using a heavier arrma motor and tightening the screws it seems to warp plastic motor mount causing spur and pinion not to sit flat, did 4 runs and no problem, then next day out stripped in 1st run! they should still make the metal motor mount for this car, bad plastic motor mount. even my pinion not even mesh all around spur gear???? cause mount is warped!

are you sure the cause of the runout is the motor/pinion/mount and not the spur/transmission input shaft/bearings?
the spur and pinion dont sit equal to one another. they dont mesh evenly all around?? the metal plates will sit of aliitle right?

the spur and pinion dont sit equal to one another. they dont mesh evenly all around?? the metal plates will sit of aliitle right?

they should mesh very close to evenly all around, what I'm saying is the problem isn't necessarily the motor mount. if you take the pinion off, you should be able to rotate the spur/clutch. see if you have runout there. that's the most common cause - clutch/clutch spring problem, input shaft bearing/housing worn, or bent input shaft

they should mesh very close to evenly all around, what I'm saying is the problem isn't necessarily the motor mount. if you take the pinion off, you should be able to rotate the spur/clutch. see if you have runout there. that's the most common cause - clutch/clutch spring problem, input shaft bearing/housing worn, or bent input shaft
the shaft seems to be straight? does the spring only go on one way only, the flat side?

I think you should upgrade the spur to a metal one.
What do you mean by "heavier Arrma motor" ? Higher KV's? Bigger physically?
Maybe it is a bigger can and won't allow a proper mesh due to the motor hitting the trans? Just guessing.

Can you provide pictures of the alignment and motor specs?

I think you should upgrade the spur to a metal one.
What do you mean by "heavier Arrma motor" ? Higher KV's? Bigger physically?
Maybe it is a bigger can and won't allow a proper mesh due to the motor hitting the trans? Just guessing.

Can you provide pictures of the alignment and motor specs?
Throwing a metal spur on the car isn't always the answer. He needs to find out what the root spacing issue is first. It's better to Strip a plastic spur than an idler gear or something else in the transmission. Spur gears are cheap and can be changed quickly.

Throwing a metal spur on the car isn't always the answer. He needs to find out what the root spacing issue is first. It's better to Strip a plastic spur than an idler gear or something else in the transmission. Spur gears are cheap and can be changed quickly.

Oh no, I totally agree, they should in fact figure out the cause.
With limited supplied data we really have no clue as to why it stripped.
There is a whole host of reasons why he stripped it.
Driving technique, high powered motor, bigger battery, improper installation, bent shaft, improper use of the slipper clutch.......

AS 95PGTTech pointed out it could very well be runout of the plastic spur, as plastic injection molded parts can have shrinkage issues and cause a runout issue, as opposed to a machined metal spur, of course unless the machine that is doing the machining it is junk, runout should be less of an issue. Per`sae.

Pictures/videos and a bit more data about their setup would be very beneficial.

the shaft seems to be straight? does the spring only go on one way only, the flat side?

essentially it can go on either side. To check the shaft, you need to remove it from the transmission and roll it on a known hard, flat surface. You should be able to check the condition of the input shaft bearing and the area of the transmission case that holds the bearing simply by manipulating the input shaft side to side and seeing if there is excess play.

hi guys here are some pics, I ran it 3 times last night, and the 3rd run it stripped! really dont know whats happening here. plus I bought car to run the plastic spur, it the early years had no stripping at all?? these pics show motor mount is warped when screwing in heavy motor to it compared to top part, please advise? the motor screws never came loose last night so maybe pinion and spur on on slight angle then stripped??

Attachments

• IMG_2570.JPG
    IMG_2570.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2571.JPG
    IMG_2571.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2572.JPG
    IMG_2572.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 37
Thanks for the pics, it's saying the requested content isn't available right now. Not sure if it's a site wide issue or on my end, I'll try another browser. From what I can see, everything on the trans/spur side looks in order (as much as can be done by a visual inspection anyway. Are you 100% sure the pinion is a 48p and not a 32p?

Thanks for the pics, it's saying the requested content isn't available right now. Not sure if it's a site wide issue or on my end, I'll try another browser. From what I can see, everything on the trans/spur side looks in order (as much as can be done by a visual inspection anyway. Are you 100% sure the pinion is a 48p and not a 32p?
its a 48 pitch pinion, you can see from the top off spur its not sitting flat with pinion, its angle one way and the other, goes another way? which caused stripping?

here are some more pics, I can see that the plastic motor mount is warped and not flat with where motor screws in. plus in 1st pic, screwing in motor and warped mount , should be able to pull motor back to sit in line but does not? does anyone else have these problems? the ecx plastic is crap. I keep telling them to make metal motor mount but year after year nothing. I usea 3655 arrma 3800 motor, hitting 55mph, sucker flies! I guess heavier motor unlike stalk crap cant be used on this with heat and plastic warp!

Attachments

• IMG_2573.JPG
    IMG_2573.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2574.JPG
    IMG_2574.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2575.JPG
    IMG_2575.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 11
Your first ones come up now for me as well. That one with the spur on top down shot clearly shows it's the motor mount/transmission case flexed outward away from the motor. Unless you're going to make your own (what kind of idiot does that LMAO?), the only option is another stock replacement.

I'm going to guess at some point you had a fairly torque-oriented setup in there that put a huge load on the pinion and spur, and something had to give so the plate flexes. You could put a metal spur in it, but that's really just going to mask your problem not fix it.

Yeah who does that @95PGTTech ...... 🤣

Yeah a metal spur isn't going to fix that. I mean it might prevent it for a bit, but I wouldn't recommend that at all, after seeing the pictures.
By golly it sure does look warped, actually looks like the motor is out and down from the trans, almost a twist to it.
It must of gotten extremely hot at some point.

hi guys! thanks for the answers, for the motor mount, when I bought it, it looked warped from store?? do you guys use heavier motors to screw in with no mount warpage?

Yeah who does that @95PGTTech ...... 🤣

only idiots :ROFLMAO:

even the spur shaft is on angle to left from top? but dont think its warped or bearing?

In the pic, it appears that the spur and input shaft are straight, but the housing is bent. The housing appears closer to the spur on the rear (right side when viewed from top) than the left, which is making the pinion meet the spur at an angle.

I was using fairly generic stainless steel cap head m3 screws, but with a large washer I think it was something like 8mm od

hope the next motor mount is not warped I buy? they need to make metal one?

The motor mount is integral to the transmission case, so I don't forsee anyone making one of those for this market anytime soon.

Gonna have to make your own

IMG_8554.JPEG

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back