metal driveshafts??

Joshnewb

getting ready to upgrade to a 2s lipo
anticipating my stock plastic drive shafts breaking before too long
suggestions for metal upgrades...
seen mixed reviews on Hot Racing
pretty new to hobby, so if i have to mod any, i want it to be a pretty simple mod
and i've seen problems with some brands limiting suspension travel...
thanks for helping this rookie

I am about to do the same upgrade.
Here are some choices I am looking at:
  1. Traxxas slash VXL
  2. Hot Racing
  3. MIP
I have heard that the HR may bind with shock completely compressed. (I run mostly on road so this will not effect me) or you could add a little spacer to the bottom of your shock so that it wont compress all the way during landing.
MIP have the same issue but worse. Traxxas uses a different round end that bolts onto the transmission so you may need to do some mods. This is what I have learned so far through research and youtube video's. Not sure how accurate they are but have heard the same from different sources.

Once I get mine I will let you know what I find. Anyone else have any info?

Everything I have been reading about the Hot Racing axles is not good. I would just do rear MIPs for a Traxxas Stampede 4x4 and get it over with.

Traxxas steel splined axles are good they are expensive but the work really well for my ruckus they survived some beatings and they have replacement parts you can buy for them. you have to get rpm a arms for the back for them or you will tear the boot seals to shreads, highly recommended if you drive on gravel. Theres replacement parts. Make sure to get Traxxas Driveshafts, Rear, Steel-Spline Constant-Velocity (Complete Assembly) (2)

HOWEVER they do require shaving of steal parts to fit them in the differential don't use any powergrinder things they will tear off your hand. You also have to grind down the diff output shaft a little bit just keep testing the little screws to see if they fit.

I've been running the stock plastic axles for 6 months with a 4000 kv brushless motor on a 6200 2s lipo. I've burned up 5 spurs, 3 pinions, many bearings, and 2 differentials, but the axles are still good. I run exclusively on dirt and gravel though. Loosening my slipper has solved most all of my drivetrain issues. I have a new set of plastic axles sitting in the tool box just in case. Yesterday I noticed one of the axles is a little twisted, but it still functions fine so I left it alone. Plastic axles are cheap. I suspect they wouldn't last as long on pavement.

I didn't like what I was reading about the HR shafts so I ordered the ECX HD shafts. So far so good. I'm running a 3930 kv goolrc motor. 19t.

Members online

Back