Need help going brushless

WaterLoupe

I recently fried my stock brushed motor on my Torment and now I'm seeking a new one. I've decided that I would upgrade my car by going brushless. I manged to find a two cheap brushless motor/ESC combos, and I was wondering if I could have your opinion on them. I was also wondering if I were to install one of these setups if I would have to change anything, such as the transmission or the pinion gear. Here they are:

1) https://bit.ly/2AQn8fW
2) https://goo.gl/MoCoqj

I am also open to your recommendations on what would work out for me. I'm on a tight budget, so nothing over 70$. Thanks!

Note: I'd like to make it clear that my car (2wd Brushed Torment) is just about all stock, except the fact I have upgraded tires in the back and that I use a 2s 5000mah Lipo battery.

Last edited:
I’ve heard good things about that goolrc system but unfortunately it’s kv rating is just too high for a torment and I feel like you would have better luck with the lower kv system (kv between 3000-38000kv will work great) and if you use a lower kv you can eventually run a 3s Lipo if you wanted to because I’ve had 4000kv motors blow up on 3s flinging metal all over in the motor but the electronics still work:D.

If you use brushless I would recommend the ecx metal gear set and there’s plenty of videos on how to install it but it’s pretty simple as long as you don’t loose parts:(.

I would also recommend something within 2 teeth of a 23t pinion if you get a 3000kv motor and probably a 19t for something close to a 3500kv motor. Assuming you still run the stock 87t spur gear. Gearing is all up to you and I’ve learned that it’s nice to have a few gears laying around in case of a really hot day or you just want to see how fast it goes.

It should be compatible and that system would be a great choice for the torment because there’s a wider range of pinion sizes it will accept without overheating. However I don’t have experience with the trackstar systems I’ve heared they are a hobby wing brand which isn’t bad. I own a hobby wing sensored esc and will be using it to race again because I bought it about 2-3 weeks ago and haven’t been to the track yet.

If your interested check out the hobbywing stuff it’s pretty good.

Im sure the trackstar will work with the torment.

I have a goolRC 3500kv that I run in one of my trucks... no bells or whistles but it's been running strong for almost 2 years now.

Cant complain for $40.

Think I'll bring this discussion back to life...

I've decided on a GoolRC 3660 3800KV brushless motor (cuz i wanna stay cheap), and now I need to find a correct pinion for it. I, being a newbie to this hobby, have no real idea what would work well with this motor. I still use the stock spur. What would you recommend? I'm thinking something between 20t-18t would work. Thanks!

In case you're wondering, my car is for on-road/off-road use.

Those gear sizes would be a great choice. Do yourself a favor and get that whole range and you can have a little bit of adjustment if you want it.

What esc are you getting? I would not get a 60a esc for that 3660 motor on 2s you should be ok but you will more than likely fry a 60a esc if you decide to use 3s.

With a 3660 motor you should get a metal gear diff and upgraded driveshafts.

I run a 3660 4300kv 5mm 22t pinion in a Ruckus now it has more than enough power and no heat issues. But I have metal driveshafts and metal gear diff. The Goolrc 3660 3800kv is a good motor (I have one) but is pretty torquey and it was not as fast as 3800kv motor should be (the one I have anyways) but still a good motor and plenty fast.

Get a 80a or better yet 120a esc if you get that 3660 motor.

It's not absolutely necessary. You may want to tweak a few settings to your liking, but most ESC's run fine stock out of the box.

The more pricey the setup the more bells/whistles and options you have.

My goolrc setup I think only has 3 things you can change on it, I honestly never bothered with it has it runs fine to me.

My Orion setup has 5 parameters I believe..

Then my Castle ESC has like 9 different areas of adjustment or something ridiculous like that.

But simply put no, and ESC should run fine out of the box. Some come with a program card to change settings, or instructions on how to do it using your transmitter. But there all just fine tuning points.

I found the goolrc esc to have way too hard braking, it will basically lock the wheels even on tarmac when you want to slow down before making a turn. It is also very punchy, which is a problem on gravel. So I would personally get the program card for it. I regret not getting it in the first place, because now shipping is as much as the card itself...

For sure the Gool setup isn't the best. Out of my 3 its my least favorite.

But in all fairness I paid like $40 CAD for it, a brand new brushless system... which to my surprise has held up to some good abuse over the course of 2 years...

So I cant complain about it.

I did look into getting the card aswell.. it was like $10... then another $8 or $9 to ship it... I was like fiddlestick it lol... not worth it for something I spent $40 on.

Alright, so I finally got all the parts and pieces I need to assemble my new brushless system, when I ran into a problem. The motor I got takes a bigger pinion gear, so the teeth on it are bigger. When the pinion gear settles against the spur gear, the teeth on the pinion are just way to big. When you rotate the motor, it just isn't smooth at all and I obviously know something is wrong here. Can this be simply solved by purchasing a new spur gear with bigger teeth, or is this a much more serious problem? Thanks.

It sounds like your pinion gear is a 32 pitch, and your trying to run it with a 48 pitch spur. Don't do this. You will wreck one of those gears.. this is a fact, not an opinion.

You need to get a spur gear that is also 32 pitch to go with it. That is all you need to do, it's a fairly simple fix.

Pitch is a different measurement/scale of TPI (Teeth per inch) is on the gear itself.

Yea, after some research I have come to this conclusion. I forgot to factor in gear pitch while purchasing my new pinion gears. Stupid mistake I made. I'll be getting some new ones armed with this new knowledge. Thanks anyway!

Last edited:
I recently fried my stock brushed motor on my Torment and now I'm seeking a new one. I've decided that I would upgrade my car by going brushless. I manged to find a two cheap brushless motor/ESC combos, and I was wondering if I could have your opinion on them. I was also wondering if I were to install one of these setups if I would have to change anything, such as the transmission or the pinion gear. Here they are:

1) https://bit.ly/2AQn8fW
2) https://goo.gl/MoCoqj

I am also open to your recommendations on what would work out for me. I'm on a tight budget, so nothing over 70$. Thanks!

Note: I'd like to make it clear that my car (2wd Brushed Torment) is just about all stock, except the fact I have upgraded tires in the back and that I use a 2s 5000mah Lipo battery.

Refer to other forum conversations earlier. There has been some recent talk on brushless electronics.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back