Please help, need suggestions for comb packs

BabyDyke415

I am looking into esc, servo, and motors... is it better to get this as a combo pack? I have the ECX AMP MT... There are also so many different brands that I am lost!! I want to drive 40mph and have plenty of torque for bashing and jumping. I want to switch to LiPo eventually and I want to be able to run 12v batteries. I don't want to be done driving after 20 mins of run time!! I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, though at the same time I want decent products and if that means spending a bit more... well that's what I want then. I am very new at this and I am getting really confused when looking up these parts... pls help!! Also I want brushless and I was thinking of sensored. Is there that big of a deal between sensored and sensorless? All I've done so far is upgrade to metal differential and working on doing the same with my slipper clutch! I realize that getting these things will lower my run time a lot with the stock battery... I do plan on getting lipos and a charger after this. I also figure if I get a combo pack I won't screw up having parts that shouldn't be run together! So input? Anyone? Everyone?

40mph is going to cost you. First you will need a powerful motor and ESC. New ESC means new radio or new receiver (you'll want a radio with some adjustability). For that speed you want at least 3s rated ESC and motor, so you will need battery and charger. Then you need beefier spur and pinion, and driveshafts. The stock tires can't put that kind of power down very well, so you will want to upgrade them, and then you have to figure out appropriate gearing with those tires. After all that, you end up with a vehicle that may traction roll, wheelie and even backflip, cartwheel across the ground when you stuff the landing. It will shred the body, break every part of the suspension, probably also damage the shock towers or even rip the chassis itself.

Not saying you can't, but... I'd take smaller steps because you risk getting familiar with all the downsides of the hobby without enjoying the upsides very much...

40mph is going to cost you. First you will need a powerful motor and ESC. New ESC means new radio or new receiver (you'll want a radio with some adjustability). For that speed you want at least 3s rated ESC and motor, so you will need battery and charger. Then you need beefier spur and pinion, and driveshafts. The stock tires can't put that kind of power down very well, so you will want to upgrade them, and then you have to figure out appropriate gearing with those tires. After all that, you end up with a vehicle that may traction roll, wheelie and even backflip, cartwheel across the ground when you stuff the landing. It will shred the body, break every part of the suspension, probably also damage the shock towers or even rip the chassis itself.

Not saying you can't, but... I'd take smaller steps because you risk getting familiar with all the downsides of the hobby without enjoying the upsides very much...
Very wise advice. I guess now that I have ths rc truck I want to make the parts better, and with that I want the best replacement for each piece and ultimately wouldn't be able to put it all in until I have every single part which would take forever and like you said, I won't be enjoying the good stuff much. So what should I do next? To learn start making upgrades? Again I have the ECX AMP MT, almost everything is stock. New metal differential, and new metal slipper (soon)... what is the best to do next? Get a charger and better NiMH battery for it first? What is my next move on the truck itself? When in the list should I be getting a better reciever and what do I even get so it's an upgrade and works with what I have... possibly even will be good with the next upgrade to come with ought stressing the machine to much? I have only been in this a month so I hAve no idea... I could really use all and any help and opinions!!! :)

How bad would it be to get great tires, then save up until I can get a great esc, motor, servo, remote, wheels at once... and replace other parts as they break/start getting pieces likely to fail with new set up ..... that is kinda what I really want to do... but I don't know what parts to get, so that they are all compatible, for when I do switch everything out!?!!!!!? Or is it a better option to save up and get a beter car that already has great parts... and what car is a good suggestion for that?! Idk what I'm doing but at the same time I don't want to waste money on in between parts when I really want something better when I'm spending money?! I want to stay 1/10 scale! ... also I wish I would have gotten something 4WD... so maybe work on making what I have better at a cheaper cost and save up for that? I'm having a hard time deciding what is best, with what I really want. Sorry I'm so new I just need help and advice! Thanks btw

Screenshot_2017-06-04-17-33-00.png
Is this a good one to start for a in between that I could do now? Besides a connector what else shoud I get with this one? Sorry I know I'm talking a lit I just am so confused and need help with what I can do now and what to save up for altogether to really amp it up

I just got the Gool esc motor combo, mines 4300kv. Took it for a test run , lets just say that it will get sideways in a hurry. That's with a 8.4v 3300mah NIMH battery, gonna be even better when my lipo shows up. You have to do all the supporting mods or you'll be fixing it, more than running it. Remember, you get what you pay for!!

I installed a goolrc motor combo yesterday on my ecx ruckus. It's the same brand of the pix you posted. At first I kept the stock wheels on running with a Lipo battery. But with the stock wheels on,I had problems w my ruckus doing wheelies, so I installed bigger/wider tires. Today I took it out for more test runs, and the wheelies decrease but was running so fast. Tomorrow, I am going record how fast it runs. The only problem that I had with this motor was, it come with a 5mm motor shaft diameter, so I had to order a 5mm pinion gear, the stocked pinion gear was smaller then goolrc motor shaft. I also installed hot racing rear drive shaft.

I installed a goolrc motor combo yesterday on my ECX ruckus. It's the same brand of the pix you posted. At first I kept the stock wheels on running with a LiPo battery. But with the stock wheels on,I had problems w my ruckus doing wheelies, so I installed bigger/wider tires. Today I took it out for more test runs, and the wheelies decrease but was running so fast. Tomorrow, I am going record how fast it runs. The only problem that I had with this motor was, it come with a 5mm motor shaft diameter, so I had to order a 5mm pinion gear, the stocked pinion gear was smaller then goolrc motor shaft. I also installed hot racing rear drive shaft.
Ah man!!! I just ordered a set of pinion gears... I guess I didn't know about a difference so I will have to see what I got coming now. Definitely good to know, thanks!

I ordered these
Screenshot_2017-06-04-22-45-13.png
And this one...
Screenshot_2017-06-04-22-45-13.png
... does that mean these won't work with the goolrc then? Like I said I don't know what I'm doing lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-06-04-22-45-52.png
    Screenshot_2017-06-04-22-45-52.png
    165.8 KB · Views: 4
You want to go 40mph and not spend an arm and a leg ?......
For that type of speed you probably should've went with a higher quality motor/esc setup. I had a gool in my AMP buggy... it was decent but nowhere near my castle in terms of quality.
I've spent almost my arms and my legs getting my AMP to around 35ish MPH (and being able to run it regularly and reliably).
There's more to it than just buying a new motor and throwing on a big pinion gear if you want it to run for more than 5 min without something going wrong and costing yourself even more. Some of those cheaper brushless setups don't have Thermal Shutdown by the way... good luck.

For that type of speed you probably should've went with a higher quality motor/ESC setup. I had a gool in my AMP buggy... it was decent but nowhere near my castle in terms of quality.
I've spent almost my arms and my legs getting my AMP to around 35ish MPH (and being able to run it regularly and reliably).
There's more to it than just buying a new motor and throwing on a big pinion gear if you want it to run for more than 5 min without something going wrong and costing yourself even more. Some of those cheaper brushless setups don't have Thermal Shutdown by the way... good luck.
For that type of speed you probably should've went with a higher quality motor/ESC setup. I had a gool in my AMP buggy... it was decent but nowhere near my castle in terms of quality.
please educate me ..i want to learn, this is all new to me, i havent got a motor esc yet.. what do you suggest, i imagine with this i need new servo and contoller, what else do i need to upgrade for this besides tires, i hope this is typing out, sry im on a bad phone... i will spen money, i just dont want to spend a bunch on one thing if there is a cheaaper one that works just as good or close to it.

I would recomend staying with the gool rc. There cheap and pretty good for the price, since your new I would wait a season or so before upgrading to a high end setup like castle or tekkin. Those motors are crazy powerful and an unskilled driver with those can equal a busted truck real quick.

Before going to crazy on power you should work on beefing up your truck so it can handle the power and speed you want to give it. Stock these trucks can't handle much. RPM arms, blocks, spindles, rear hubs. Steel spur gear. ECX metal tranny gears. All those would be a good start. Also some t-bone racing bumpers.
That should get you decently bash proof.

Then after your driving improves look into higher end motors.
My castle 3800 does about 35-40mph.
And my Leopard 8.5 turn (4000kv) does about 40-45mph.
One in my AMP MT, one in my AMP DB.

These are not high end trucks in general. They are cheaply made and as good as they are for the price (I think there a great starter truck). There not made for intense speeds in general. So you can get it there, but it won't be cheap.
I've got about 600$ in my AMP MT, and 500$ in my AMP DB. (I'm in Canada so if your in the states you can probably take a hundred off those figures).

Most advanced drivers would usually purchase a higher end truck and build on from there. It wouldn't be as much as a hassle. But work with what you got.

You will also need a new radio yes. Servo... well that's up to you, the stock one is pretty crap. You should get the rpm servo saver eliminater to fix the steering as the stock setup sucks. With that you want a metal geared servo and a metal servo horn, then your tire rods are the weak point, and when you have a nasty crash you just pop off a tire rod.. pop it back on and your good to go. The servo saver/servo horn/servo you could probly all do for under 100$... depending on the servo you go with.. the more you pay the better obviously.
A radio is the same thing.. you can get a flysky radio for lIke 40$. My cousin has one, I'm not fond of it but it works just as well as my 90$ spektrum.

I'll pass on some good advice I received when I was starting out: Invest in good electronics so that you can move them to your next car. Don't buy super-cheap off-brand stuff. You can get a an excellent Hobbywing EZRUN 4000kv motor and ESC bundle for a little over US$100. The electronics are good enough that you'll want to move them to your next (better?) car. Then you can re-install the stock electronics in the old AMP and hand it down to a kid/friend/whomever.

The GoolRC burns up or fails, who you going to call? (Nobody, right? It's so cheap you just throw it away and buy another. Hobbywing, Castle, Horizon Hobby (Kinexis, Dynamite/Fuze) all offer good support. Just don't buy throwaway stuff... let's stop kicking Mother Nature in the tenders.

Latest posts

Members online

Back