Recommended ECX AMP Upgrades

I just had a look on my stuff and the transmitter is a ECX13005 and the RX/ESC is a ECX13006 which are using the (discontinued) V3 protocol. I assume replacing one component means replacing all of them then :(

Yes, you are right mine is also the ECX13005.

Response from Horizon was simply: "The recommended receiver for the Amp MT is the ESC/Receiver,2.4GHz WP, V4: 1/10 (ECX13010)".

I've gone back to them about their posted video that talks about the Dynamite Tazer Brushless Motor/ESC combo upgrade for the Amp MT that suggested the ECX13003 works with the stock transmitter and since they've discontinued it what other receiver would work. The replacement for the ECX13003 is the ECX13009 but no mention anywhere if you can bind the ECX13005 transmitter with it.

I ended up getting a new Spektrum DX2E and SR310 package on eBay as I couldn't find an alternative solution.

Yes, you are right mine is also the ECX13005.

Response from Horizon was simply: "The recommended receiver for the Amp MT is the ESC/Receiver,2.4GHz WP, V4: 1/10 (ECX13010)".

I've gone back to them about their posted video that talks about the Dynamite Tazer Brushless Motor/ESC combo upgrade for the Amp MT that suggested the ECX13003 works with the stock transmitter and since they've discontinued it what other receiver would work. The replacement for the ECX13003 is the ECX13009 but no mention anywhere if you can bind the ECX13005 transmitter with it.

I ended up getting a new Spektrum DX2E and SR310 package on eBay as I couldn't find an alternative solution.

I’m quite sure you can’t pair a 13009 with 13005, the former is V4 and the latter V3

Response from Horizon

If the customer’s goal is to use an ESC with lipo compatibility, then it would be best to use a dedicated ESC with lipo compatibility like the DYNS2210. In any case, he would have to upgrade his transmitter. Two comparable Tx/Rx combos would be the Spektrum STX Tx/Rx or the V4 ECX.

So I guess that's pretty conclusive, any change to the ESC is going to require a complete radio system too.

Took the advice and bought the Fast Eddy bearing kit, is there a diagram that shows where all the bearings go?

ECX RC has done a great job with the ECX AMP MT / DB (monster truck / desert buggy) RC's. The ECX AMP RC's are a great fit for someone looking to get into the radio control hobby or looking for a backyard basher. While the ECX AMP is fun right out of the box (or freshly built if you bought the kit version) there are a few things that can be done to further improve the ECX AMP!

Required items for a new ECX AMP

4x AA Batteries - For the included transmitter. My recommendation would be to get a pack of Eneloop rechargeable batteries. Either the Panasonic Eneloop or Eneloop Pro (higher capacity, longer run time).

That's it, just a set of AA batteries will allow you to pull the ECX AMP from the box and start using it right away. That said if you're new to the hobby then I would certainly recommend taking a look at our Tools to get started in R/C thread to see what tools are going to be very handy for you.

Recommended Upgrades for the ECX AMP

Batteries - The ECX AMP comes with a 1800mAh NiMH battery which will work fine getting started but if you really want to awaken the ECX AMP add a LiPo battery. Doing so will not only give you longer run times but really add some power to the stock ECX AMP. This is probably the single least expensive and most noticeable upgrade you can do.

CAUTION: While ECX lists the ECX AMP's as being "LiPo Compatible" the ESC/Receiver combo included in the ECX AMP does NOT include a low voltage cutoff or alarm. If you run a LiPo on the stock electronics you risk frying your battery or causing more serious damage to your AMP or yourself.​
If you run LiPo and stock electronics then I'm going to say you MUST buy an LiPo voltage alarm - this will monitor the voltage of the LiPo and scream like heck when it reaches a certain voltage, saving your AMP and LiPo battery from damage.​

Bearings - The bearings in the ECX AMP leave a bit to be desired, such as being sloppy and/or not very reliable. The easiest solution would be to pick up a FastEddyBearings ball bearing kit.

If you're building the kit version of the ECX AMP I would buy these bearings at the same time and save yourself the work of going back and replacing the stock bearings.

Servo - The stock steering servo seems a bit under powered, to remedy simply upgrade the servo to something like the Power HD 1501MG, MG996R, or Hitec HS5645MG.

Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) - I have never been a fan the of the ESC/Receiver combo units in any RC. Mostly for the sole reason that when you do want to upgrade you can't just upgrade a ESC or receiver, being a combo you have to replace both which ultimatly ends up costing you more. In addition if you have an issue with one part of the combo then the entire unit it useless to you.

If you're looking for an inexpensive upgrade then check out Hobbywing, the Dynamite Tazer ESC / Brushless motor combo also makes a nice upgrade.

Of course going this route means you'll need a new radio setup as well...

These upgrades are a great starting point for any basher or someone getting started into the RC hobby scene, but certainly not a complete list. If you have other suggested upgrades for the ECX AMP please share with us!
Any recommendations on a reasonable upgrade ESC and RX for the ESC/Rx combo? I've burnt through one and it was replaced through warranty but would like to have it upgraded to avoid it happening again (or have on hand for when it goes). Everything else is stock and I'm not (at this stage) looking to upgrade to LiPo or brushless but perhaps eventually.

Any recommendations on a reasonable upgrade ESC and RX for the ESC/Rx combo? I've burnt through one and it was replaced through warranty but would like to have it upgraded to avoid it happening again (or have on hand for when it goes). Everything else is stock and I'm not (at this stage) looking to upgrade to LiPo or brushless but perhaps eventually.
Just from my experience do not upgrade the ESC or motor if you’re not going brushless. I only did it because I literally had them sitting around from another project, and even a fairly substantial upgrade - 12T 550 motor, 80A esc and gearing yielded very little change and a LOT of heat. Putting a 2s lipo to the stock stuff was a much bigger gain

I know I am a little late but I agree with @95PGTTech if you want to change the esc/rx combo it is best to go brushless.

This is probably the best "cheap" radio that you can buy https://www.amazon.com/DUMBORC-X6-Transmitter-Receiver-Protections-Controller/dp/B07Q112TQF

The Hobbywing WP10BL60 is the cheapest esc I would bother with, all the no name eBay/Amazon/Banggood special escs are complete garbage, they are not waterproof and are notorious for going up in flames. https://www.ebay.com/itm/265517126515?hash=item3dd20dd373:g:5W8AAOSwi9Vh72gE

For a motor I would look at something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/403622523739?hash=item5df9c6f35b:g:8l8AAOSwPcphQ~tM

I know I am a little late but I agree with @95PGTTech if you want to change the esc/rx combo it is best to go brushless.

This is probably the best "cheap" radio that you can buy https://www.amazon.com/DUMBORC-X6-Transmitter-Receiver-Protections-Controller/dp/B07Q112TQF

The Hobbywing WP10BL60 is the cheapest esc I would bother with, all the no name eBay/Amazon/Banggood special escs are complete garbage, they are not waterproof and are notorious for going up in flames. https://www.ebay.com/itm/265517126515?hash=item3dd20dd373:g:5W8AAOSwi9Vh72gE

For a motor I would look at something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/403622523739?hash=item5df9c6f35b:g:8l8AAOSwPcphQ~tM

I agree that radio and receiver is a great bang/buck combo. Not that the stock one is terrible, but it gives more adjustments. My kid wanted to run lights on his Ruckus so we needed the channel 3 so we could turn them on and off from the radio. The receiver is much easier to bind than the stock spektrum one and you can just keep buying new receivers as you buy new RC and have one radio that controls them all.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back